DaRK PaRTY ReVIEW
::Literate Blather::
Thursday, January 15, 2009
Did You Win "The Beautiful Cigar Girl"?

Did You Win a Copy of "The Beautiful Cigar Girl"?



DaRK PaRTY is celebrating the 200th birthday of Edgar Allan Poe (Poe was born on January 19, 1809) by giving away a hardcover copy of Daniel Stashower's magnificent non-fiction book "The Beautiful Cigar Girl: Mary Rogers, Edgar Allan Poe, and the Invention of Murder."

Stashower explores the mysterious murder of Mary Rogers, a celebrated beauty who worked in a tobacco shop in Manhattan. She was the Paris Hilton of her day -- famous for her looks and charm. Her strangled and drowned corpse was pulled out of Hudson River in 1841. The murder was the fodder for the penny press newspapers in New York City for months.

Poe, struggling with his own demons, decided to try and solve the case through fiction using his analytical detective C. Auguste Dupin. It resulted in Poe's famous short story "The Mystery of Marie Rogêt."

Stashower combines the story of Poe's life and how it intersects with the Rogers' murder. The book is an amazing read for anyone interested in Poe and his work. Stashower avoids the cliches that often accompany biographies of Poe and paints a portrait of an artistic genius that was his own worst enemy.

We asked people to tell us their favorite Poe story and then to send us an email with their name and address to enter. We held a random drawing and now have a winner. Drum roll, please! The winner is:

Francine A. from Omaha, Nebraska

Francine has been set a copy of the book. Happy reading, Francine, and thanks to everyone who entered. We'll be holding a new book giveaway next week so please stay tuned!

And, of course, Happy birthday, Mr. Poe!


Labels: , ,


Stumble Upon Toolbar StumbleUpon | Digg! Digg | del.icio.us | Reddit | Technorati Technorati | E-mail a Link E-mail
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
12 Comments:
Blogger mybillcrider said...
"The Cask of Amontillado." Love the narrator's voice, love the plot, love the "For God's sake."

Blogger Maison De Sante said...
Of all of the poems that rattle relentlessly around my skull, The Raven is the one that seems to knock the loudest and most often. I've read it silently at least a hundred times. I've read it out loud a dozen more. I've had it read to me and seen it performed as a monologue on stage. I've chuckled happily through its recitation by Christopher Walken (no offense to Mr. Walken - I just kept associating his voice with Nick from The Deer Hunter and it made the whole thing a little absurd). Every time I pick up a book by Poe, whether from the shelf of someone's private library or in a book store, I immediately turn to The Raven and read it again. I can't help it. It's comfort to me like fog on a chilly night or a whisper from a dark corner.

(copied from my blog but I assume that's okay since I'm quoting me...)

Blogger Unknown said...
No problem, Maison. Just don't forget to cut and paste and email to darkpartyreview(AT)gmail(DOT)com with your name and mailing address to be eligible for the drawing.

Blogger Bat Masterson said...
Oh, "Cask of Amontillado" for me, too, please. Haven't we all wanted to be Montressor, in our most bitter moments? And with the masks, the game-playing, and the unreliable narrator, it's got a surreal edge to it, at least by my reading. Just perfect.

And then there's the tiny jingle of the bells.

Yes.

Blogger Maison De Sante said...
Oh, I have the book already. I just wanted to join the fun.

Loving the Poe posts this week!

Blogger GFS3 said...
Why thank you kind, sir! More to come on Mr. Poe!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Ligeia, it's über-creepy with ample room for different interpretations.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
fall of the house of usher. people being buried alive creep me out.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
El Dorado, because I get to play mandola on my fiancée's setting of the poem.

Blogger Angela C said...
My favorite is The Raven.

Blogger Francine Anchondo said...
The Tell-Tale Heart is my favorite because I think it is one of his best stories.

Blogger taterbug said...
I think I'm too late to comment, but just wanted to say this is a wonderful book. Maybe I won't be late for the next giveaway.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.
The Template is generated via PsycHo and is Licensed.